|Red Velvet at KCON 2015 in Los Angeles.(L-R): Joy, Yeri, Irene, Seulgi, Wendy|
|Origin:||Seoul, South Korea|
|Genre:||Kpop, electropop, R&B|
|Years Active:||2014 - present|
|Members:|| Irene |
Through an audition in 2007, Seulgi became the first member to join the agency. She was then followed by Irene who was casted in 2009, Yeri in 2011 and both Wendy and Joy in 2012.
On S.M. Entertainment's official YouTube account, several clips of Irene, Seulgi and Wendy were released as a part of S.M. Rookies. It was rumoured that these three members would make their debut in S.M Entertainment's first girl group in five years since f(x). SM confirmed the rumours to be true, and with the addition of member Joy, the girls made their debut under the name Red Velvet as a four-member group.
2014: Debut with Happiness and Be Natural
August 1, 2014 saw Red Velvet make their official debut on the music program Music Bank with their debut single "Happiness". The song's original music video amassed over 2 million views within it's first 24 hour period before being removed and replaced with an edited version due to controversy over problematic images. The music video was the second-most viewed K-pop music video for the month of August. The current video has over 23 million views as of October 2015.
Red Velvet's second digital single "Be Natural" was released two months later on October 13. The song is a remake of S.E.S' song of the same name. The song features SR14B's Taeyong as well as the original choreography members Irene and Seulgi showcased when they performed the song in their pre-debut clips.
2015: New member Yeri, Ice Cream Cake, and The Red
On March 15 2015, the groups first mini album "Ice Cream Cake" was released. Four days previous on March 11, SM released a video which announced that the group's comeback will be with five members instead of the initial four, the new member being Yeri who was also formerly part of S.M. Rookies.
The album was promoted through Ice Cream TV, a show streamed through Naver Music and hosted by SHINee's Minho. The music video was released on March 15 and it was announced that both "Ice Cream Cake" and "Automatic" will be promoted as lead singles for the album. The group received their first music show win on March 27 on Music Bank, making them the first girl group to in 2014 to earn a music show win. The album was the best selling by a girl group in South Korea on the Hanteo Chart for the entire first half of 2015.
In August 2015, Red Velvet performed at KCon in Los Angeles, California, marking their first US performance.
The 1st Album
September 9, 2015
The 1st Mini Album
March 18, 2015
Playable Songs in SuperStar SMTOWN
(song list is presented in the order they appear in the game; all songs are in Korean unless otherwise noted.)
- "Would U"
- "Automatic" (from Ice Cream Cake)
- "행복 (Happiness)"
- "Somethin Kinda Crazy" (from Ice Cream Cake)
- "Ice Cream Cake" (from Ice Cream Cake)
- "Be Natural"
- "Huff n Puff" (from The Red)
- ↑ http://starn.hankyung.com/global/en/news/index.html?no=317678
- ↑ http://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20140728000659
- ↑ http://www.sportsseoul.com/?c=v&m=n&i=88648
- ↑ http://mwave.interest.me/enewsworld/en/article/71320/sm-to-launch-a-new-girl-group-next-month
- ↑ http://koreajoongangdaily.joins.com/news/article/article.aspx?aid=2992652
- ↑ http://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20140730000536
- ↑ http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/k-town/6244070/most-viewed-k-pop-videos-mvs-america-global-august-2014
- ↑ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFgv8bKfxEs
- ↑ http://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20141007000765
- ↑ http://www.bntnews.co.uk/app/news.php?nid=18877
- ↑ http://mwave.interest.me/enewsworld/en/article/89232/red-velvet-to-pre-release-ice-cream-cake-online-a-day-ahead-of-album-release
- ↑ http://osen.mt.co.kr/article/G1110100321
- ↑ http://www.koreadaily.com/news/read.asp?page=1&branch=NEWS&source=&category=entertainment&art_id=3265626
- ↑ http://www.koreadaily.com/news/read.asp?art_id=3470045
- ↑ http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/k-town/6656012/red-velvet-kcon-los-angeles-2015-interview
- ↑ http://stoo.asiae.co.kr/news/view.htm?sec=enter99&idxno=2015090410011291722